When autumn arrives and it’s time to say goodnight to your swimming pool for the winter season, there are two key questions we are asked – WHEN should I cover my pool for the winter and HOW should I cover my pool?
The first decision is made based on how comfortable you and your family are swimming in falling temperatures. How much you want to spend on heating your pool as it begins losing heat more rapidly is a large consideration. Another thing to bear in mind is that autumn means a lot of dirt and organic matter getting into the pool – leaves and other debris from the environment can easily load a skimmer basket and make cleaning the pool a headache.
The answer to the second question is either “with a winter cover” or “with a safety cover.” A winter cover is essentially a large tarp that gets placed over the pool with its primary purpose being to keep dirt and debris out of the pool while it is not in use
A safety cover is a sturdy piece of material that, like a winter cover, is placed over the pool to keep it clean and make opening the pool in the spring much easier. However, a safety cover is different from a water bag winter cover in that it has a breakthrough strength typically exceeding 4,000 lbs, which is approximately the weight of a small SUV. The safety cover is secured into the deck and over the pool rather than simply being held in place by water-filled bags or other measures.
Why a Safety Cover Makes Sense
There are several reasons you should use a safety cover when you close your pool for the season. They include:
- Access control: A safety cover prevents children and pets from gaining access to your pool.
- Protection of the pool: Having a safety cover in place keeps dirt and debris out, which protects the pool from potential damage and makes opening it in the spring much easier.
- Neat appearance: Safety covers look neat and finished when secured in place. You’ll be seeing the cover all winter, so appearance matters.
- Excellent fit: A safety cover can be made to fit features like raised walls, spas, or waterfalls.
- Durability: A safety cover is strong and durable and will provide many years of worry-free off season care.
- Cost-effectiveness: While the initial cost may be more than a water bag cover, it is a priceless investment to protect your pool and family.
If you are interested in learning more about a safety cover for your swimming pool, find out more on our Safety Cover FAQ page or chat with us at www.findmyanswers.ca.