Cloudy swimming pool water is a common problem many pool owners experience.
Dull, hazy water can be frustrating to treat since the issue can be caused by several factors, including:
- Poor filtration
- Improper water balance
- Excess contaminants
- Low Free Chlorine residual
Determining the cause of your cloudy pool water will help you treat and prevent the problem and restore crystal clear pool water. Follow these steps to uncover the issue that may be causing your cloudy pool water and learn how to treat and prevent the problem.
- Test and Balance Water
Always begin by testing your pool water. Your test results will tell you if your water parameters are unbalanced. Pay special attention to your Free Chlorine level. Low Free Chlorine can cause cloudy pool water due excess organic contaminants. Always maintain Free Chlorine between 1 -4 ppm. If needed, apply the appropriate BioGuard Burn Out or Dazzle Ultra Shock to restore adequate sanitizer level.
- Burn Out: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/bioguard-burn-out-3-8kg
- Ultra Shock: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/dazzle-ultra-shock-950gm
2. Clean Filter and Pool Surfaces
Your pool filter removes dirt and debris that naturally enter your pool water from the environment and swimmers. When your pool filter is dirty, it can’t effectively filter smaller particles that may cause cloudy water.
Backwash or chemically clean your filter using BioGuard Filter Brite or Dazzle Filter Cleanse, to remove build up.
Properly clean your pool surfaces.
Skim water surface, brush walls, vacuum, remove any visual debris, and empty skimmer baskets.
Allow your pump and filter to operate continuously for at least 24 hours so that your pool’s entire gallonage has the chance to be filtered.
- Filter Brite: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/bioguard-filter-brite-250gm
- Filter Cleanse: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/dazzle-rapid-action-filter-cleanse-for-pools-35ltr
3. Apply a Water Clarifier
If your pool water is balanced, your filter is clean, and you are still experiencing cloudy water, you may need to treat your pool with BioGuard Polysheen or Dazzle Naturesheen. Pool water clarifiers and flocculants aid water filtration by binding together microscopic particles that are too small, and making them easier to remove.
Clarifiers will help guide these materials through the filtration system, and flocculants allow the heavier material to sink to the floor to be vacuumed out of the pool.
- Polysheen Blue: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/bioguard-polysheen-blue-946ml
- Nature Sheen: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/dazzle-nature-sheen-946ml
4. Apply a Shock Treatment
Shocking your pool water removes any lingering contaminants and helps to further aid filtration. Apply BioGuard Smart Shock or Mineraluxe Oxygen weekly as part of your regular maintenance routine, after pool parties, and major rain storms.
Remember to test and balance your pool water weekly
- Smart Shock: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/bioguard-smart-shock-12x400gm-bags
- Oxygen: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/mineraluxe-oxygen-plus-case-12-x-350g-bags
Always reach out if you have any specific questions we can help with!!