Hey there fellow hot tubbers! Follow these 10 tips for keeping your hot tub at it’s best!
Before we get started the number one tip above all is READ your manual! Many questions that you may have about your spa can be answered right there along with other tips to keep your spa running at optimum level!
1. Test the water of your hot tub so that you can monitor the sanitizer level. You should not get into a hot tub that has a low sanitize level below 1 – 3 ppm. Add 2 – 4 tsp on Bromine Granules, wait 15 minutes and then use the hot tub (consider increasing the number of bromine tablets in your dispenser. Even if the hot tub is equipped with a ClearRay UV sanitizer, your bromine should still be maintained at 1 – 3 ppm.
2. Make sure you are using the proper spa chemicals from a hot tub professional. We recommend that you bring in a water sample at least twice per fill. Your warranty requires this. Your hot tub is a significant investment and should be treated with chemicals designed for prolong it’s life and save you money!
3. After you have a spa party, you will need to add the appropriate dose of Bromine Granules (refer to the instructions for superchlorination on the bottle.) Doing this will remove any organics that all of the fun bring in. It is also a great idea to leave your hot tub cover off for ‘a day per week.’ This allows your water to breathe and will lengthen the life of your cover and pillows. Be aware that if you have trouble with a high pH- turn off the air controls in your tub when you are not using it.
4. Drain the hot tub on a regular basis. The average spa should be completely drained and refilled 4 times per year (or as determined by an Aqua-Tech laboratory analysis). This will save your equipment from damage and keep your chemical costs down. Apply TRIO ‘Finish’ to your spa prior to draining. It removes any deposits and dirt from the jets and plumbing. This will ensure you get maximum water flow and your jets will continue to rotate and spin like new for the life of your spa.
5. Your filter should be cleaned every 4 – 6 weeks. It is a good idea to remove the filter every 2 weeks to rinse it to remove large debris. We highly recommend having 2 sets of filters that you can rotate, so there is never any down time to your spa. It is best to dry your spa filters completely after the chemical cleaning process, this will ensure a longer filter cycle. If you have a MircoClean filter consider having a standard pleated filter as a spare. If you see the filter reminder on your control panel, refer to the owners manual to reprogram the countdown timer.
6. Filters, pillows, light bulbs and heatshields do not carry a warranty. However, the better they are cared for the longer they will last. Always clean your hard cover thoroughly at least every 6 months. Any damage to the cover can cause water penetration to the Sytrofoam. The cover will then get heavy and need to be replaced. Ensure that you have access to your equipment for service calls. Technician time on site to create access is not covered under warranty.
7. If your spa is equipped with a ClearRay UV sanitizer, inspect and clean the quartz sleeve at every hot tub draining prior to refilling. Replace the bulb every 365 circulation days. See if your “blb” reminder on your control panel, refer to your owner’s manual to reprogram the countdown timer.
8. Every outdoor spa owner needs to own the following tools: a space heater, wet dry vacuum and a submersible pump. Between November 1 and May 1 you must also have at least 2 gallons of the spa antifreeze at home in case you need to preform emergency winterizing.
9. Check your tub every day in winter. If a freeze up occurs damage is caused by not following the prescribed winter maintenance procedures. This includes checking the control panel for operation and water temperature. (i.e. don’t just lift the lid and see if the water is hot, use the control panel to turn each of the turn on each of the pumps and check the control panel for error messages.) Ensure that your hot tub is always in STANDARD mode. If you have an 880 spa, ensure your economy filter cycles are set to 6 hour duration (see your manual for more details.)
10. Always contact us with any questions or concerns you may have! (www.aqua-tech.ca) You can ask any question, 24 hours per day, 7 days a week at www.aqua-tech.ca.
Happy Hot Tubbing!
Soft Soak Bromine Granules: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/spaguard-soft-soak-brominating-granules-1kg
Trio Kit: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/spaguard-soft-soak-trio-spa-kit-3-month-kit
Spa Filter Brite: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/collections/all/products/spaguard-filter-brite-40gm
Clear Ray Bulb: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/products/sundance-spas-jacuzzi-clearray-bulb-pn-6472-841
Sundance Filters: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/collections/hot-tub-parts-sundance-spas-filters
Sundance Hot Tub Covers: https://shop.aqua-tech.ca/collections/pool-accessories-hot-tub-covers